The 7th of July 2000 saw the inaugural meeting of the Gambling Impact Society (NSW), a not-for-profit peak organization with the following aims:
- To provide a consultative body to represent the interests of problem gamblers and their families.
- To provide a focal point for information for people affected by problem gambling and service providers.
- To develop educational resources and information pertinent to the issues of problem gambling.
- To increase public awareness of problem gambling and its impacts.
- To encourage regional and local action on problem gambling through the provision of information and other supportive resources.
- To work with service providers, gambling industries and governments to develop responsible gambling policies and harm minimization strategies in the community.
- To encourage the development of appropriate treatment services for those affected by problem gambling.
- To encourage and support research in the field of problem gambling.
- To provide a forum for problem gamblers and their families to be heard and supported in their endeavours to deal with the impacts of gambling.
The Society’s management committee meets from 1-3 p.m. on the first Wednesday of the month at the Nowra Neighbourhood Centre Nowra. The Chairperson, Kate Roberts, is contactable via the Centre on 02 44 215 077
The GIS aims to raise community awareness about the impacts of gambling and problem gambling in the community.We support consumer choice and responsible gambling but also recognize the negative impact of gambling can have on Individual, families and communities.We promote informed choice and community participation in decision making about the extent of community gambling and related gambling and problem gambling issues.The GIS promotes a public health approach to gambling harm