The GIS aims to raise community awareness about the impacts of gambling and problem gambling in the community.
The Gambling Impact Society (NSW) held its first meeting on 7 July 2000. We remain a not-for-profit organisation run by volunteers and professionals with the following aims:
- To promote a public health approach to gambling in the community.
- To provide information, education, advocacy & support for people affected by problem gambling.
- To provide information, education and training for service providers and the community.
- To develop educational resources and information pertinent to the issues of problem gambling and gambling harm.
- To increase public awareness of the continuum of gambling harm including ‘at risk gambling’ ‘problem gambling’ and ‘gambling disorder’ and the impacts on individuals, families and the community.
- To encourage the development of early intervention, treatment and rehabilitation for those affected by problem gambling.
- To encourage the development of health promotion strategies in order reduce gambling harm in the community.
- To provide a forum for those affected by gambling harms to be heard and supported in their endeavours to deal with the impacts of gambling.
The Society’s management committee meets from 6-8 p.m. on the third Thursday of the month at the Nowra Neighbourhood Centre Nowra. The Chairperson and Executive Officer are contactable via the Centre on 02 44 215 077.